Subject: Solution to " CAN not save rendered animation on SGI"
From: [email-masked] (Han Nguyen)
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 1996 10:49:13 -0800

First of all I'd like to thank everybody for the prompt responses to my
original posting about not being able to save a rendered
animation on SGI.  It was especially helpful since tech support was not able 
to find out why it was happening.  

We can get LW to save an animation out to an SGI movie as well as saving it out 
into individual files IF we change the the environment variable "ContentDirectory" 
in the file .lwrc to point to LW_INSTALLATION directory instead of to the 
user's directory and change the permission on the file to be READ-Only.  
This is my guess as to why this is:

	LW has two files .lwrc and .lwmrc in the LW_INSTALL/bin directory that 
have environment variables which point to certain places under the LW_INSTALL 
directory.  When the user invokes LW it creates these 2 files in the user's 
directory and re-defines the environment variables to point to the user's directory. This is OK except for the one variable "ContentDirectory" that should have been 
pointing to the LW_INSTALLATION directory instead of to the user's directory.  
By making the .lwrc file in the user's directory read-only, we prevent LW from 
going in there and modifying the variable "ContentDirectory".